Monday, March 13, 2006

The Invisible Life of Poet #83 - I Heart Stem Cells

You must have known that eventually Poet would get around to abortion. While this does not solve the abortion issue per se, I am very pleased at how it portrays the "compassion" of radical Christians. If you yourself are a Christian, and feel this comic strip grossly misrepresents your viewpoint, I'd like to hear from you. Just remember that right now, somewhere in this country, people like this are doing things like this, and making a whole lot of noise about it. To atheists like me, they are the face of contemporary American Christianity. But then, you probably hate atheists like me, too.

I Heart Stem Cells
Life of Poet Mainpage

1 Comments:

At 2:51 PM, Blogger Tom said...

If you yourself are a Christian, and feel this comic strip grossly misrepresents your viewpoint, I'd like to hear from you.

As a liberal Christian, I think that many so-called "Christians" misrepresent Christianity. This strip does a good satirical representation of them.

Unfortunately, I have to agree that "the face of contemporary American Christianity" is closer to mentalities like this rather than than the actual teachings espoused by Christ himself. By being extremely vocal and well-organized, far-right Christian fanatics have somehow managed to claim the public face of Christianity, while the left has not done enough to prevent this from happening, in my opinion. Anyway, that's another topic for another post.

Love the strip. I encountered a newer one in the Oberlin Review this past weekend during a visit (I'm an '05 alum). I'll be reading frequently, I suspect...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home